I woke this morning at 6:30 and as per the usual situation, the one day I get to sleep in, I couldn’t get back to sleep… Anyway, It didn’t turn out too bad as I ended up making these little bites of heaven… I had plans to go past my sisters house this afternoon for the rugby and thought I might as well make something to take with… BUT, once I put one of these in my mouth, the delicious giggle that followed told me there was now way that I was going to be sharing these goodies with anyone… 🙂 The method is simple although I found getting the pretzel shape a little fiddly as they are meant to be quite small.. Do yourself a favour and please try this recipe.. The only thing I would do differently next time is double the recipe 😉 A must for the cookie jar this winter! Enjoy!
– 115g plain flour
– 65g butter
– 25g caster sugar
– 1 large egg, beaten
– a few drops of vanilla essence/extract
– icing sugar for dusting
1. Measure the flour into a large bowl, add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in the sugar and then the egg and vanilla extract and mix until the pastry comes together.
3. Knead very gently on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
4. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes or until firm enough to roll.
5. Preheat the oven to 200C and lightly grease a baking tray.
6. Divide the dough into pieces about the size of a walnut.
7. Roll each piece into a thin sausage shape and then twist into the traditional pretzel shape, like a loose knot, and place onto a baking tray.
8. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 7/8 minutes or until barely changing colour. Lift onto a wire rack and dust thickly with icing sugar while still hot.