There is something s special about homemade heart-shaped goodies… These biscuits are delish and really easy to make. I would make a few notes though; put the dough in the fridge for and hour before you roll out, when you cut your shapes make sure that the dough is about 1cm thick as they flatten in the oven and no one wants to end up with a broken heart 😉 . I also found that mine lost their shape a bit so make sure you use a good cookie cutter.
- 100g icing sugar , plus extra for dusting
- 200g plain flour , plus extra for dusting
- 50g cornflour
- 50g ground almonds
- 250g pack cold butter , cut into cubes
- 50g glacé cherries , finely chopped
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 8 tbsp Strawberry jam
1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Sift the icing sugar, flour and cornflour together into a bowl. Stir in the ground almonds and butter, then rub in the butter until smooth. Stir in the chopped glacé cherries and almond extract, and bring together to form a dough.
2. Roll out on a lightly floured surface, then stamp out biscuits using a heartshaped cutter. Keep re-rolling the trimmings until all the dough is used. Carefully transfer the biscuits to baking trays lined with parchment and bake for just 8-10 mins until just pale golden.
3. Using an upturned bottle top or similar, press gently into the centre of each biscuit to make a round indent. Spoon in a little jam and return to the oven for 2 mins. Remove and cool on a wire rack, before dusting with icing sugar to serve.