As those close to me know, this been has been an emotional whirlwind and so late yesterday afternoon whilst we tended to my sore head with a grin from each ear I decide that something incredible needed to happen in my kitchen, something deep and meaningful.. And so, I dedicate this beautifully moist, chocolaty and of course, Delish, cake to you all… 🙂
50g sifted cocoa powder
6T boiling water
3 large eggs
175g self-raising flour
1 rounded teaspoon baking powder
100g softened butter
275g caster sugar
For the filling & icing:
3T apricot jam
150g plain chocolate (39% cocoa solids)
150ml double cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease two 20cm cake tins then line the base of each with baking parchment.
2. Blend the cocoa and boiling water in a large bowl then add the remaining cake ingredients and beat until your mixture is smooth and thickish. Divide between the two cake tins and level the surface.
3. Bake for about 25-30 mins until well risen and the tops spring bake when lightly pressed with a finger. Leave to cool in the tins for a few minutes and then turn out, peel off the BP and finish cooling on a wire rack.
4. To make the icing, warm the apricot jam in a small pan and spread a thin layer over the base of one cake and the top of the other.
5. Break the chocolate into pieces and gently heat with the cream in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water for about 10 minutes until all the chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally. Remove the bowl from the heat and stir to make sure it has completely melted. Leave to cool until it is on the point of setting then spread on top of the apricot and sandwich the cakes together. Then spread on top of the cake. Decorate as you wish..
Note: I think that this icing is meant to be thicker but I quite like the way mine has flown over the edges… feels more natural 🙂 Enjoy!