With Orthodox Easter being this weekend I thought I would make something a little different for Good Friday tomorrow.. As I have grown older, I have become a bit more innovative on the days that we fast before special calendar events… Why should Good Friday be any different? I did a bit of research and found this recipe on a Vegan website and these “brownies” actually turned out to be pretty tasty. The texture is not the same as you conventional brownie but the sponge is moist and almost bounces back in your mouth when you take each bite… (as you can see, I had a sneaky taste before tomorrow 🙂 ) The banana and chocolate flavours are prominent and you actually feel like you have taken a bite of something sweet but healthy… The only alteration I would make is probably changing the name to “Brazil Nut and Banana Sponge Bites” 🙂 Enjoy these delish creations!
– 2 very ripe bananas (8oz/225g flesh)
– 6 oz (170g) gluten-free flour
– 2 tbsp cocoa
– 4 oz (115g) sugar
– 5 fl oz (140 ml) vegetable oil
– 5 fl oz (140 ml) water
– 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
– 2 oz (55g) brazil nuts
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Mash the bananas in a mixing bowl, then sieve in the flour and cocoa.
3. Add the sugar, vegetable oil and water, reserving 1 tbsp of the water.
4. Mix with a hand held mixer until all ingredients have combined and you have a smooth mixture.
5. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the tbsp of water then add to the bowl and mix well.
6. Stir in the brazil nuts with a wooden spoon.
7. Put the mixture in a greased brownie tin and place in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes or until a cocktail stick comes out clean. (I baked mine for 30-35 mins)