I have been feeling a bit under the weather and have been missing my hometown the last few days so needed a bit off a “pick me up”… For me, baking is always soothing and tends to chill the stress levels. I had a little think about what to make and the first thing that made me smile was the thought of how excited me and my mama get about Vida e Cafe blueberry and white choc chip muffins… ok… the thought of these gives me a bigger than normal smile 🙂
The recipe below is a tweaked Hummingbird Bakery blueberry muffin recipe. I have made these with flaked almonds instead of choc chips for a healthier option..
300g Plain Flour
310g Caster Sugar
1.5 t Baking Powder
0.5t Bicarbonate of Soda
0.5t Vanilla Extract
70g Unsalted Butter, Melted
1 Handful Flaked Almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 170C.
2. Mix the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and bicarb in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl/jug put the buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Slowly add the flour mixture to this and beat until all the ingredients are combined.
4. Pour in the melted butter and beat until the butter has just incorporated, then turn to mixer up to medium speed and beat until the dough is even and smooth.
5. Add the almonds and mix on a low speed for about 15 seconds.
6. Finally, add the blueberries and fold in gently until they are evenly spread.
7. Spoon the mixture into muffin cases until they are two thirds full.
8. Bake in a preheated oven until golden brown. A skewer inserted in the middle should come out clear.