This recipe was inspire by a side dish of brussel sprouts and almonds that my housemate’s mum made for christmas lunch. I definitely recommend it as a side for a lunch or dinner party. It is so easy to make and adds something different to the table.
– 450g French beans, trimmed
– 50g sliced almonds
– 125ml olive oil
– 4 to 5 cloves garlic, smashed
– 2 1/2-cm piece ginger, grated
– 1/2 tsp dried red chilli flakes
– 60ml red wine vinegar
1. Boil the beans in a pot of salted water for 1 to 2 minutes, until the beans turn bright green. Strain them and run under cold water to stop them cooking.
2. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the almonds and toast them until golden brown, about 4 minutes, shaking the pan often to avoid burning the almonds. Put the toasted almonds in a separate bowl.
3. Heat the olive oil in a pan and add a few pinches of salt, the garlic, ginger, and chili flakes. Cook just until the garlic starts to brown. Add the vinegar and let cook down for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Remove pan from heat and toss in the beans to coat them thoroughly and evenly with the dressing.
Serve on a platter and scatter the top with the toasted almonds.