I had been telling everyone at work how much I love to cook and kept promising to bring them something. So late one Thursday night I had the baking itch and decided to make a batch of Red Velvet cupcakes and these Marshmallow Cupcakes. They went down like a dream 🙂
– 120g plain flour
– 140g castor sugar
– 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
– pinch of salt
– 45g unsalted butter at room temperature
– 120ml whole milk
– 1 egg
– 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
– 12 medium pink marshmallows
– 200g mini marshmallows for icing
– edible glitter to decorate
– 250g icing sugar, sifted
– 80g unsalted butter
– 25ml whole milk
– a couple of drops of vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 170C.
2. Put flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a bowl and mix with a hand held mixer and beat on a slow speed until things combine and become a sandy consistency.
3. Gradually add half the milk and beat until milk is just incorporated.
4. Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and remaining milk together in a separate bowl for a few seconds, then pour into the flour mixture and continue to beat until just incorporated.
5. Scoop any mixture that had strayed on the edges of the bowl and continue to mix until smooth but do not over mix.
6. Spoon the mixture into paper cases and bake for 20-25 minutes.
7. Once golden, let the cupcakes cool slightly in the baking tray before putting on a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Put the medium marshmallows in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
9. Leave until melted an smooth.
10. When the cupcakes are cold, hollow out a small section in the centre of each one and fill with a dollop of melted marshmallows. Leave to cool.
Beat the icing sugar and butter together with a handheld mixer on a medium speed until the mixture comes together. Turn the mixer down to a slow speed. Combine the milk and vanilla extract in a separate bowl, then add the butter mixture a couple of table spoons at a time. Once all the milk has been incorporated, add a few drops of food colouring and beat at a high speed until light and fluffy.
Stir the mini marshmallows into the vanilla icing and spoon evenly onto each cupcake. Decorate each with sparkly edible glitter and enjoy…. 😉