I have been dying to try some recipes with Quinoa as my dad has been raving about how healthy it is for you so finally got round to making the below recipe and Quinoa will be in my diet for ever more 🙂 YUM!
– 1 cup dried organic quinoa
– 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
– 1/2 cucumber, peeled and cut into wedges
– 1 tomato, diced (seeds removed)
– 60 g (approx.) feta cheese, crumbled
– 8 (approx.) kalamata olives, pitted (you can slice these if you like but I quite like them whole)
– 2 tbsp finely diced red onion
– 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 1 tbsp red wine vinegar (I didn’t use the RWV but tasted delicious nonetheless)
– juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon
– 1 tsp dried parsley
– 1 tsp dried oregano
– coarsely ground black pepper
– optional for garnish: fresh parsley, chopped
EXTRA : I added avocado to my salad which added amazing texture
In a heavy bottomed, medium sized pot, bring 2 cups of water to boil over high heat. Then add the quinoa. When the water returns to a rolling boil, cover the pot with its lid and reduce the heat to maintain a strong simmer, at medium or medium-low. Cook covered until all of the water has been absorbed, about 10 to 12 minutes. Then add the garlic, remove the pot from heat, and fluff up the quinoa with a fork. Cover the pot and let stand for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette in a small bowl by whisking together the extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, dried parsley, dried oregano, and black pepper to taste.
In a large bowl, toss together the quinoa, red onions, and vinaigrette until well combined. Then add the cucumber, tomato, and olives and mix together gently. Top with the crumbled feta cheese and let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving.
Garnish with fresh parsley and serve cold or at room temperature.