I love this recipe, absolutely delicious! It is perfect as an side dish to lovely lamb chops or as a vegeterian meal with a side salad! A great alternative to a lasagne too!
Tip: This recipe can be simplified by slicing pre-made polenta as the longest part of this recipe was waiting for the polenta to cool. You can buy it premade in most stores.
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 2 1/4 cups instant polenta
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 large onion
– 2 garlic cloves, chopped
– 2 14-ounce cans chopped tomatoes
– 1 tablespoon tomato paste
– 1 teaspoon sugar
– salt and ground black pepper
– 3 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
– Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
– Line an 11 x 7-inch baking pan with plastic wrap.
– Put 4 cups water into a pan and bring to a boil with the salt.
– Pour in the polenta in a steady stream and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
– Beat in the paprika and nutmeg then pour into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Let cool.
– Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion and garlic until soft.
– Add the tomatoes, pate and sugar. Season. Simmer for 20 minutes.
– Turn out the polenta onto a cutting board and cut into 2-inch squares.
– Place half the squares in a greased ovenproof dish.
– Spoon on half the tomato sauce, and sprinkle with half the cheese.
– Repeat the layers.
– Bake for about 25 minutes until golden.
– Serve Immediately